Lesson 4 Vocabulary:
1. Russian Revolution – A great change in Russia that began in 1917 and led to the overthrow of the Tsars.
2. Communism – Government that owns all property and businesses; leaders are not elected, but are chosen by the “party.”
3. Socialism – Government that wants all people to share economically, but allows free elections and privately owned businesses.
4. Collective Farm – Large farm worked by hundreds of families.
5. Karl Marx – German philosopher who believed in Socialism.
6. Russia – Country in eastern Europe and northern Asia, largest country in the world.
7. Totalitarianism – Government where a dictator or small group of people run the country and have complete control.
8. Capitalism – Government that allows individuals the freedom to own property and decide how they would like to manage it, and the people elect their leaders.
9. Lenin – Soviet leader that led the Revolution and started Communism.
10. Stalin – Soviet dictator that started Totalitarianism.
11. Soviet Union - Name given to Russia from 1917-1991