ARTICLES THIS WEEK (due THURSDAY 4/10 )
1st Period - THEA, DYLAN, KRISTEN, CARTER K.
2nd Period - CORBIN, DAVIS, MAGGIE, LAUREN
3rd Period -JESSE, MATTIE, JENNA, SKYLER
4th Period -PAUL, ANNA, JACE, ANNABEL W.
7th Period - GRANT, GREY, CASEY, WILL G.
Monday, March 31, 2014
Lesson 3 Vocabulary:
1. Caliph – Muslim leader with political and religious authority.
2. Mosque – Muslim place of worship.
3. Algebra – Type of mathematics to which Muslims made great contributions.
4. Astrolabe – Instrument perfected by Muslims that is used to figure out the position of the stars.
5. Baghdad – Capital of the Muslim caliphate for many years, present day capital of Iraq.
Lesson 2 Vocabulary:
1. Islam – Religion of Muslims based on the teachings of Muhammad.
2. Quran – Holy book of Islam, believed to contain teachings of God to Muhammad.
3. Kaaba – Religious temple in Mecca that became sacred to Muslims.
4. Hijra – Migration of Muhammad from Mecca to Medina in 622 AD.
5. Five Pillars – The 5 basic duties of all Muslims.
6. Pilgrimage – Journey for a religious purpose.
7. Muhammad – Founder of Islam.
8. Mecca – City in Arabia believed to be the birthplace of Muhammad, today the most holy city of Islam.
9. Medina – Arabian city that Muhammad migrated to.
Wednesday, March 26, 2014
Lesson 1 Vocabulary:
1. Arabia – A large peninsula in southwestern Asia.
2. Persian Gulf – Body of water east of Arabian Peninsula that separates Arabia from Iran.
3. Arabian Sea – Body of water south of Arabia that lies between Arabia and India.
4. Red Sea – Narrow body of water west of Arabian Peninsula between Arabia and Africa.
5. Oasis – Watered area in a desert typically by a spring.
6. Yemen – Present day country in southwest Arabia.
7. Petra – Ancient Arabian city of trade, in present-day country of Jordan.
8. Caravan – Group of people and animals traveling together for safety.